Song of the Day

Last Flowers - Radiohead.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

July 2008.

Even though July is not yet over, but I decided I will write about it now. The reason behind this is that the remaining week in July will probably be just like the previous three weeks – and that’s exactly why I fucking love this month.

July 2008 is the intermission month after my graduation and before the start of my white-collar career. I didn’t really make any plans for it but I felt that it’s going to be different. I thought I’d find ways to indulge in the summer frenzy or do things that have been pending for a long time because of university obligations, like having that planned photo shoot for example – but to be honest; I didn’t do anything out of what I planned. This month has been spent in absolute dumbness and extreme sloth. No energy whatsoever was exerted, not to do anything memorable nor to even try to think of what I want to do. I spent days in bed and nights listening to music and reading lyrics – too lazy to even type on instant messaging applications. I so proudly declare that I failed to finish any of the things I intended to utilize this month of idleness to, like the book and the script. I gave appointments that I got late to, I started reading books that I never finished, I stopped looking at my watch that frequently, I listened to musicians more than I listened to people, I took long showers, sipped on a lot of wine, stared into nothingness, counted my hair and counted trees while riding in slow cars as we drove through without having a real destination. I shut down all my receptors to those who demand me to do things that involve any sort of thinking, like both my parents who each of them has their own vision of what I should do and how I should do it, and like friends who might bring up unpleasant subjects that involve love tales from the past or any social drama. Furthermore, I built a big wall surrounding my senses against bad vibes intentionally forced upon me. And I have done all of that with great persistence and sweaty devotion.

This month is one week away from its death, and I salute it, for all of the idleness and sloth it brought me. I didn’t know what it is to be in total darkness, not knowing what you are doing or where you are going and yet not caring to move a hair to change any of that – till this month came.

I might still have that photo shoot though…

3 comments:

Badr said...

good thing you got a break between graduation and work, i just think you shouldn't over do it, i've been there BUT staying home for too long totally messes up your head, i think you should start searching for a job by fall....

anyway as i said love your blog and count me in as one of your readers :)

try to update it more often though.

monamahfouz said...

I will start very soon, I already have that planned.

More Often??? I nearly write daily.. about details that I don't think would interest anyone.. But that's the whole purpose, right? Details that don't seem all that interesting.. :)

SamSeven said...

OMG what a lazy bumb lol. I like your style & I agree nothing beats total sloth in your own dwelling space. Kinda helps you to get your head together. Try amping up on like three cups of home brewed coffee and then going for a jog. That works wonders for me. The whole while dreaming of getting back home, turning on the AC & lounging around some more on the couche lol.

Thanks for visiting my blog even though when I saw the comment notification in my mail, I had to look at it for about 4 seconds in order to comprehend what it was. That's how long it's been since I last blogged. Nice choice of a read by the way.

Cheers..
SamSeven