Song of the Day

Last Flowers - Radiohead.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

He called me the "Maws Tawt Gurl".

It all comes back to me now as I decide to start dieting. My weight had always been 62 KGs at all times, but the jelly-like fats I am gaining have another opinion. Dieting is the most excruciating process one might embark upon. I tell you, quitting chocolate is probably harder than quitting smoking. But with the summer and my graduation knocking at the doors, there is no workaround. Maybe that’s not the only motivation though. My chocolate greed has been enslaving me to do a lot of absurd things. Let me tell you the story…

Coptic Christians fast before Christmas – don’t mistake me for a radical or anything but one must fast at least the final few weeks. Now during those few weeks, I have the worst cravings and rushes and chocolate mirages. But finally on Christmas Eve, one breaks their fast. Back home after the fanciest meal in ages, in an empty house, all dressed up… I realize… This house has been that of fasting people for weeks. NO CHOCOLATE !!!! My eyes widen and my veins get bluer with rage. I start fancying a Mars Tart from Cilantro – Heba Zaghloul once introduced me to that piece of delicious sin before, whom am trying to convince her to start dieting with me, yet she needs chocolate now more than ever – but that’s another story.

At 2:00 AM I start making plans of how I should get down to Cairo’s streets to go to the holy 24 hours Korba Cilantro. What? Get raped? You think that’s more important than my rush? You think it would have even bothered me? For some reason, I call him up, hoping he wouldn’t be too drunk tonight – after all a non-fasting Christian like himself has all rights to be roaring and celebrating on Christmas Eve.

I assume my junkie-like rush was so intense that he immediately agreed to deliver me my Mars Tart in the “sabat” as he was on his way home after the fanciest meal in ages. He took a tiny piece of it before he delivered it all safe to my eyes. It wasn’t a virgin yes, but that’s not what bothered me – I was more concerned of how come such a piece of heaven can be resisted. He then called me to make sure I got it alright, but I couldn’t help but rush the phone call – my mouth was too watery. Ever since then, he’d call me the “Maws Tawt Gurl”. I have to admit I loved it – the name and him calling me that. It had a certain warmth and nostalgia in it that I couldn’t resist addicting.

If we map the similarities between my dieting and that fasting, one can easily foresee that my rush will come back, sooner than one might think. It will be resisted and thus it will haunt fiercely back again. I am sure that at 2:00 AM I’d want to call the same number again wondering if he’s on the way home from the most delicious party since ages… but I call that number now and some monster answers in his place.

No comments: